Text: Psalm 64
In 2 Samuel 15:12 the conspiracy against David grows with David’s son Absolam vying for the throne and recruiting some of David’s friends who weren’t on good terms with David. David is facing a coup from the “Deep State.”
Hear me (vs 1)
- Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:
- but Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
- David wants to be preserved from fear of the enemy.
Hide me (vss 2-6)
- David describes things other people are doing against him that he has no control over, so he’s trusting the Lord to intervene.
- The secret wicked activities are described in detail.
- Whet their tongue (vs 3)… search iniquities (vs 6)
- Faults discovered, evil motives imputed, exaggerations invented, lies forged, innuendoes suggested, old slanders furnished, and ancient hatreds rekindled. (Spurgeon)
Help me (vss 7-10)
- The Lord answers by firing a shot into the camp of the wicked.
- Results of the Lord’s answer
- When trouble enters in the wicked begin fighting each other.
- All men shall fear and declare the work of God and wisely consider His doing.
- The righteous shall be glad in the Lord and trust Him; upright shall glory.