Text: Matthew 8:16-17
|Matthew 8:16-17 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: 17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.||Mark 1:32-34 And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils. 33 And all the city was gathered together at the door. 34 And he healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him.||Luke 4:40-41 Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them. 41 And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God. And he rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that he was Christ.|
The Lord is a healer
- Exodus 15:6
- Psalm 103:3 → Matthew 9:6
- Isaiah 35:5-6 → Matthew 11:4-6
- Malachi 4:2
- This is the prophecy fulfilled. Isaiah 53:4 is one description of several of the Messiah – the Christ – 700 years before Jesus Christ enters the world as a man.
- We have the benefit of the New Testament so we can look back on all the earthly ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ. But if you were living in Israel in this time and you only had the Old Testament scriptures, the prophecy of Isaiah would still be unfulfilled. Isaiah said there is a man coming who would bear the griefs and carry Israelites’ sorrows. But none of the prophets in the Old Testament had done this.
Wrongly dividing and wresting the scriptures
- Healing is not a personal promise to you. In fact you’re told and I’m told to reckon our bodies dead.
- Just because something happened and was recorded in the Bible doesn’t mean it is a promise to you personally.
- Israel left Egypt and went through the Red Sea, but that isn’t a personal promise to you.
- You know this is not a personal promise because of what happens to believers after the Lord Jesus Christ returns to heaven. After the Lord Jesus Christ ascended into heaven and the New Testament church was begun there were people serving the Lord who got sick and stayed sick (2 Timothy 4:20 …Trophimus have I left at Miletum sick.), people serving the Lord who were sick and made better to continue serving (Epaphroditus in Philippians 3:25-27), and even Paul whose affliction served God’s purpose to make him weak (2 Corinthians 12). So there is not a uniform answer to being healed.
- Bitterness if believing doesn’t work out.
- Matthew 26:6, Mark 14:3 then → John 6:71, 13:26 This is an interesting connection that Judas Iscariot’s dad may have been an unhealed leper.
Who had the gift of healing?
- 1 Corinthians 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing?
- Jesus was able to heal and who did he pass this on to?
- Matthew 10:1-8 (called apostles 10:2)
- Phillip in Acts 8:4-8
- Acts 19:11-12. Note the word SPECIAL miracles were wrought through Paul. Acts 14:8-13 Paul heals a lame man and is worshipped as Jupiter. Acts 28:8-9.
How is healing administered today?
- “Healers” exist in many religions. The “medicine men” are everywhere whether they are witch doctors with potions or people who went to school for years. Not that doctors are bad, but it just shows the condition of the sons of Adam is that their flesh is the most important thing to them and they will spend all their living trying to keep it alive.
- Medical advice: 2 Timothy 4:20, 1 Timothy 5:23, Isaiah 38:21
- God still heals through answered prayer, but the gift doesn’t exist today in any individual – Philippians 2:25-27, James 5:14-15.
- Then the healing of the nations in Revelation 22:2