Text: Matthew 1:18-25 & Luke 1:28-55
These are the two people most affected by the actual birth of the Lord Jesus Christ.
They are prepared people
They are faithful
- Joseph and Mary have been entrusted with a once in forever task, not just once in a lifetime.
- Mary’s question, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? (vs 34)
- Mary asks what everyone asks before God makes clear he wants to use them. She asks HOW?
- The work of God is always done by the Spirit of God. This is significant because the flesh can never comprehend the work of God. The temptation is to make something happen in the flesh through some natural work. But God is in the business of doing supernatural work.
- God of the impossible (vs 37)
- God uses believing people.
- Mary believes God …be it unto me according to thy word. (vs 38)
- Conception in verse 38 probably.
- Spiritual transaction, not physical transaction.
- Notice immediately that Mary goes to see Elisabeth and John the Baptist leaps in Elisabeth’s womb.
- And blessed is she that believed: (vs 45)
They are willing participants
- Willing hearted in spite of very complicated circumstances.
- Belief in spite of what it might mean to her relationship with Joseph.
- Mary leaves to the hill country in haste (vs 39)
- Joseph is a a just man. Just = equitable