There are several fulfilled prophecies of Christ’s birth which is in itself supernatural. This morning we’ll see why the prophecies were made to begin with.
Christ will come out of Judah
- Genesis 49:8-12 Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father’s children shall bow down before thee. 9 Judah is a lion’s whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? 10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. 11 Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass’s colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes: 12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.
- Why? Of the 12 tribes, Judah offers himself as a payment for sin (Genesis 43:9, 44:33-34)
Christ will issue out of David’s lineage
- Psalm 132:11 The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.
- 2 Samuel 7:1-3 which leads to the promise in 2 Samuel 7:12
Christ will be born of a virgin
- Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Rebellious king Ahaz of Judah is being threatened by Syria and the northern tribes of Israel in war. The Lord sends a message to Ahaz through Isaiah then tells Ahaz to request a sign. Ahaz rejects the offer. And like everything else Ahaz has done in his life, this is just another time where he’s disobeyed and ignored God.
- Isaiah’s prophecy is a rejection of Ahaz. (See Jeremiah 22:30).
- Now, if you’re trying to make up a story about Jesus so you can get him on the throne, you don’t throw away his royal lineage. You would do everything you can to preserve it and prove it. You make sure there is no question he’s royalty from the king.
Christ will be born in Bethlehem
- Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
- 1 Samuel 20:6 → John 7:42 David was from Bethlehem