Text: Luke 2:25-35
Simeon is a spiritual man. Notice how many times God’s spirit is mentioned in connection with Simeon. The Holy Spirit is upon him in verse 25. The Holy Spirit reveals a specific promise to Simeon in verse 26. The Holy Spirit leads Simeon into the temple in verse 27. Then you see the results of the Holy Spirit’s close personal involvement in a man’s life.
Simeon is looking for consolation (vs 25)
- Simeon is not in love with the world, he is looking for consolation in the world.
- Simeon is a welcome place for the Holy Ghost. Holy Ghost was UPON him.
- Waiting for the consolation of Israel meant he had an earnest expectation of God’s redemptive work.
- Waiting like waiting tables. It is an active waiting. If you’re really waiting on a table, you do everything you can to make their experience pleasant. Orders taken timely. Drinks stay full. Isn’t it frustrating when your waiter stops waiting on you. I imagine God feels the same way.
- Waiting is defined as:
- Just means doing right; it is justice
- Devout means committed. This is someone who is invested themselves in the consolation of Israel.
- We want God to do a work in our lives so that we can then commit ourselves to him. The reality is that God’s work is the reverse of that. Nothing great can be done in your life UNTIL there is a commitment on your part to the Lord.
Simeon receives revelation he’s looking for (vs 26)
- It was revealed to him because Simeon was looking for the consolation of Israel. People looking for Jesus Christ get answers; they get confidence and assurance.
- Holy Spirit of promise brings assurance and confidence
Simeon is led by the Spirit of God (vss 27-32)
- Leading of the Spirit of God leads to fulfilled promises and peace.
- Psalm 37:5
- Proverbs 16:3
- Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
- Led through the shadow of death
- Simeon now prepared for death since he’s seen the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Jesus Christ relationship to the nation of Israel and the nations of the world in verse 32.
- Glory of Israel
- Light to the Gentiles
Simeon’s prophecy (vss 34-35)
- Perhaps the only man who saw the resurrection.
- The work of the Lord Jesus Christ to reveal the secrets and intents of men’s hearts.
- Hebrews 4:12-13