Text: Psalm 70
This is another psalm of remembrance like Psalm 38. The best way to describe this prayer is to say it is David reminding God of His promise. It is exactly like the last few verses in the Bible, particularly Revelation 22:20, Even so come Lord Jesus.
Call to the Lord out of distress (vs 1)
- David is praying the Lord would immediately intervene on the basis of the promise of His coming. Those in a hurry don’t say much, so the brevity of this psalm matches the content.
Confidence in the Lord to avenge (vss 2-3)
- There are those that aren’t looking for the Lord.
- 2 Peter 3:1-4
Crown of those that seek the Lord (vs 4)
- Looking for the Lord’s coming will do some things for you.
- Joy for seekers.
- 1 John 3:2-3
- Let God be magnified
Confession of David (vs 5)
- David defines poor here and it means needy.
- Blessed are the poor in spirit… (Matthew 5:3)
- Isaiah 66:1-2, 5 – The LORD looking for a place of rest in the earth; a place to set his kingdom. And He’s looking at things He made like the earth, but He’s really asking what is the place you’ve made me?
- Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
- Psalm 34:18