Text: Colossians 1:18
While it sounds like Jesus Christ is a created human being, that’s not what’s being said. Jesus Christ is the Creator and He entered His creation as a man to save mankind.
- The Word was with God and the Word was God.. the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us…
- A body hast thou prepared me…
- Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
- 1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
When Paul says firstborn, he’s talking about the physical birth of the Lord Jesus Christ, just like he’s talking about the physical death of the Lord Jesus Christ. So the man Christ Jesus, who was the Word that was made flesh, would die on the cross for your sin, would resurrect from the dead, and ascend into heaven.
- Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
And now serve as the mediator between God and man (not Mary or you keeping the law). Jesus Christ satisfied the price of sin and pleased the Father. Now God the Father can forgive sinners on the basis of Jesus Christ without contradicting his Holy and Just nature. Furthermore, the Lord Jesus Christ will inherit all things. He will become the King of kings and Lord of lords in the very near future at His return. God the Father will put an end to this world through a series of judgments and make way for His only begotten Son to inherit all things.
But God the Father wants others to be able to be like the Lord Jesus Christ. That means to partake in the divine nature and to be given a body that wants to serve God instead of disobey God.
- Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- The church is a body. The church is not a religion, not a building, not a political structure – Ephesians 2:11-18, 3:1-7
But how do you access all the blessings and acceptance and inheritance in Jesus Christ by God the Father? How does a sinner become a partaker of those blessings? By faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. When God finds faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, He spiritually places that faithful soul in the body of Jesus Christ. So that all things that pertain to the Lord Jesus Christ now pertain to that faithful soul. Now I say they are spiritually placed in Jesus Christ because you aren’t physically placed, but as far as God the Father is concerned that soul is represented in Jesus Christ.
- Romans 6:1-4 – Application: Difference between agreeing with the statement that Jesus Christ is the head and the application of this truth.
- Colossians 2:16-19 – he will have preeminence.