Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | Spotify | | More
Covenant in Noah
- 10 generations after Adam, mankind was so thoroughly godless that it repented the Lord that he had made man. The Lord wanted a way to purge the wickedness from the face of the earth and at the same time preserve His beloved creature called man.
- Prerequisites of God’s covenant with Noah
- God’s grace (Genesis 6:8) in light of God’s judgment of wickedness; God’s desire to save mankind in light of his His unwanted judgment of the world with a flood..
- Genesis 6:18-22 Noah’s faith is a prerequisite (Hebrews 11:7).
- There is a sacrifice prior to the covenant in Genesis 8:20-22.
- The covenant (Genesis 9:9-17) is that God would never destroy all flesh again by a flood (Genesis 9:11). It is an everlasting covenant (Genesis 9:16). The token of the covenant is a rainbow (Genesis 9:12).
Covenant in Abraham (Genesis 15:18)
- 10 generations from Noah and 20 generations from Adam.
- Prerequisites of God’s covenant with Abraham
- God’s desire to bless the nations of the earth (Galatians 3:8; the gospel means good news.)
- Genesis 12:1-4 Abraham’s faith (Hebrews 11:8) is a prerequisite.
- There is a sacrifice prior to the covenant in Genesis 15:9-12.
- The covenant (Genesis 15) is that God will give Abraham’s seed the land in Genesis 15. (The land would be where God put Adam in Eden in Genesis 2:8-15; the first place God met with man.) This covenant is reinforced in Genesis 17:2-8 where Ishmael is excluded (17:20) and Isaac is the confirmed recipient (17:21). The token of this covenant is circumcision (17:11).
Covenant in Isaac (Genesis 17:21)
- Exodus 2:24, 6:2-5
- Isaac’s faith in Hebrews 11:20
Covenant in Jacob (Genesis 28:10-15)
- Exodus 2:24, 6:2-5
- Jacob’s faith in Hebrews 11:21
Covenant in Moses (Exodus 19:5)
- Mosaic covenant – Exodus 19:5
- Prerequisites of God’s covenant with Moses
- Seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are to be in the promised land.
- Grace of God with the nation of Israel in Exodus 33:12-17, 34:10
- Moses’ faith in Hebrews 11:24-29
- The covenant is laid out in Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy (See Leviticus 26, particularly verses 9, 15, 25, 42, 44-45). The tokens of this covenant are a book (Exodus 24:7), the blood (Exodus 24:8), a sabbath rest (Exodus 31:16), the ark of the covenant (Numbers 10:33), and a priesthood (Numbers 25:12-13).
Covenant in David (2 Samuel 23:5)
- Davidic covenant – 2 Samuel 7:12-16 and 2 Samuel 23:5
- The covenant is the throne of Israel.
New covenant in Christ (Hebrews 8:6)
- Isaiah 42:6, 49:8, 59:20-21
- The old covenant with Moses’ administration would come and establish a new covenant himself, a better covenant with better promises according to Hebrews 8:6 (Hebrews 8:6-13, 9, 10:4-10).
- In Jesus Christ would be all the power of God, authority to rule the nations, all blessings, all gifts of God and all judgment.
- Jeremiah 31:31-34 – Now, this will explain the work of the Holy Spirit of God after the new covenant has been enacted.
- Eternal life, inheritance in land without a curse, reign with Christ, purged conscience from dead works to serve the living God, redemption of the body, Spirit of God in man.
- What does this mean for Gentiles who are not Israelites? Ephesians 2:11-18, 5:23, Romans 7:1-6, 11:25-27.