Genesis 17:18-21 covenant for the land in Isaac. The flesh and the spirit are opposed to each other. And between Isaac and Ishmael there is a seed according to the flesh versus a seed according to the spirit and both are manifest in the flesh. Ishmael didn’t have to be born out of carnality, but that was the case. Abraham would have a carnal descendants and spiritual and the covenant is with the spiritual. Isaac would have the same case with Jacob and Esau.
Genesis 26 Isaac instructed to stay in Gerar
- Follows dad’s lead in lying about his wife (26:7).
- But he will also stay put as hard as it is (26:6).
- These uncircumcised Philistines have more morals (26:8-10).
- Going to Egypt would’ve been easier, but he’d have gone without the blessing of God. Staying put was hard work.
- Isaac becomes a testimony for the Lord to the heathen (26:26-33)
2 Kings 13:23
Luke 13:22-30 warning that Abraham’s carnal children will be cast out if they reject Jesus Christ at this point. Paul would say it again in Romans 9:1-8.
Hebrews 11:20 The blessing came by faith
- We want to bless our kids and grandkids. We want to bless our families. Faith was the cause of the blessing.
- The blessing came by faith! And it only came by faith! Without faith, it is impossible to please God.