Person of the New Covenant
- COVENANT, noun [L, to come; a coming together; a meeting or agreement of minds.] 1. A mutual consent or agreement of two or more persons, to do or to forbear some act or thing; a contract; stipulation.
- You’ll find the phrase covenant and mercy several times in the Bible which explains that the covenant is an agreement between the Lord and man on the basis of the Lord’s mercy will be. In fact the first time this phrase shows up God tells the Israelites when they go into the land they are to destroy horrific cultures they find in the land. And warns them not to make any covenant or show any mercy to them. Deuteronomy 7:2 And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them: Covenant is an agreement between two parties on terms of peace.
- God’s conditions of mercy will be in Jesus Christ.
- Isaiah 42:1-7
- Isaiah 59:20-21
Spirit of the New Covenant
- Jeremiah 31:31-32
- The new covenant describes the work of the God’s Holy Spirit being put into the nation of Israel, first anyway.
- The basis for God’s Holy Spirit being poured out would be the work of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Jeremiah 31:33 with John 14:23-27
- Jeremiah 31:34 with 1 John 2:20-21, 26-27
- Hebrews 8:7-13 – It’s always good to see how the Old Testament is interpreted by the New Testament. So in Hebrews here, Paul interprets Jeremiah’s prophecy as the work of the Lord Jesus Christ to offer forgiveness of sins, and the subsequent work of the Holy Ghost as a reminder so they won’t teach every man his neighbor. The teacher will be the Holy Ghost of God. The seal of forgiveness is the Holy Spirit of God in that person.
Need for the New Covenant
- Moses’ carnal covenant vs Christ’s eternal covenant
- Hebrews 9:1-8 – the earthly, carnal tabernacle signified that there was still not a way for man to enter into the holiest and stand before God.
- Hebrews 9:11-15 – the priesthood of the Lord Jesus Christ is eternal and purges the conscience from sin and gives an eternal inheritance
- Hebrews 10:1-5, 8-10, 15-18
Scope of this New Covenant
- God said he would make a covenant with Israel, but what about you and me who are not Israelites?
- Look at Ephesians 2:11-18.