Text: Genesis 1:2-5
God’s desire is illumination (vs 3)
- 1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
- Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
- 1 John 1:5-7 – walk in light is allowing his word (vs 10) to find sin in these verses.
- Jesus said men love darkness because their deeds are evil.
- His scriptures are light – Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
- The Savior is light
- John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world…
- Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
- His Saints are light
- Man in his natural state is darkness, but transformed by the Lord Jesus Christ who is Light, that man becomes light.
- Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world…
- 1 Peter 2:9 …that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light
Separation of light and darkness (vs 4)
- God calls the light good, but does not call the darkness good. And thus is introduced one of the great themes of the Bible – light in contrast to darkness.
- Light has a way of dissolving fear. (My dream as a kid of the monster in the room and woke up to shadows on the wall. Found out it was a tree.)
- Light makes the path plain, darkness there is stumbling at the unknown. Wicked love darkness and know not at what they stumble.
- Light is good
- Physical sight and vision are the most obvious..
- Light is also understanding and knowledge. (Have you ever understood something and said, “Oh, I see.” Your parents probably used the phrase “it dawned on me.” Dawn means light is springing up.)
- Walk in the light
- 2 Corinthians 4:4-6 – light of the glorious gospel
- Ephesians 5:8, 10-14 – children of light, reprove works done in darkness
Day vs Night
- From here on, every creature and every human being will understand that Day is defined as a time when light rules and Night is defined as a time when darkness rules.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:5-9