Text: Genesis 1:6-8
This is the scientific account by an eyewitness of how the space was created between earth and God’s throne. The waters below the firmament are going to be gathered together where the earth is in verse 9. Then there are waters above the firmament. Now this is the part we know the least about: these waters above the emptiness that we call space.
Most High God
- You learn a little more about this firmament in verses 1:14-16. It is the emptiness – SPACE – where the Sun, Moon, and stars are. It is also immediately above the earth where birds fly in 1:20. But you know birds don’t fly in outer space. They fly in space that is directly above the earth. So this heaven has levels or steps. They’ll be called the heavens from here on. Then in 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 Paul describes a third tier where a paradise is located. Deuteronomy 10:14 Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD’S thy God… What’s unique about this third heaven is that it is not underneath any body of water, but seems to rest on top of a massive body of water. Revelation 4:6 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal…
- Psalm 148:4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.
- Hierarchy of creation
- Remember the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters in verse 2? Psalm 11:4 The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD’S throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.
- The throne means there’s a king. So creation rests under a kingdom.
- Psalm 103:19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all. The King of heaven’s kingdom interacts with men on the earth.
- God is called the HEAVENLY Father.
- With that understanding, let’s return to the firmament, the space, God created between the waters.
God’s empty canvas
- Psalm 19:1 Communicate the glory and handiwork of God.
- In the first heaven…
- God pours water from heaven in the form of rain.
- God sends fire from heaven on Sodom and Gomorrah.
- Moses raises staff toward heaven and plagues covered Egypt.
- God sends bread from heaven on Israel in the form of Manna.
- Make heaven as iron
- Romans 1:17-18 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
- Moving out further into the second heaven
- The Creator would hang signs in this SPACE according to Genesis 1:14-18
- Planets, galaxies, all in a canvas bigger than can be comprehended – Jeremiah 31:37.
- And that shows you that the incomprehensible vastness of the universe is still within and under the kingdom of heaven. 2 Chronicles 2:6 But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him? who am I then, that I should build him an house, save only to burn sacrifice before him?
- No such thing as the “Big Bang” where an explosion happened from nothing. This ignorant superstition about a ball of nothing that came from nowhere and miraculously exploded, even though there was nothing to explode. In a fairy tale for grown ups, the nothing exploded for no reason and turned into intelligence.
- Isaiah 55:9 heaven higher than earth God’s ways higher than mans
Heaven and earth
- Heaven and earth will be the two focal points of all of creation. Not outer space. Not other planets. The Sun is not the center of the universe. It’s not even the focal point of the solar system. In fact, at this point, it’s not even created and it won’t be until day 4.
- Heaven his throne and the earth is his footstool.
- On earth as it is in heaven.
- Psalm 115:16 The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD’S: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.
- Until one day when the most important representative from the kingdom of Heaven appears – the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Matthew 3:1-2 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, 2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- Matthew 5:3, 10, 20 3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. … 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. … 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
- Matthew 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. Jesus Christ is talking about himself. He represents and is the kingdom of heaven. However he is treated is how those souls respond to God’s kingdom.
- Matthew 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. Remember the Psalm? Psalm 115:16 The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD’S: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.
- Matthew 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. Remember the Psalm? Psalm 115:16 The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD’S: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.
Heavens like a tent
- Isaiah 40:22 – stretched out
- Revelation 6:14 – rolled up