Text: Malachi 3:1-6
Prepared way (vs 1)
- …my messenger…
- John the Baptist is prophesied here according to the Lord Jesus Christ in Matthew 11:10.
- Isaiah 40:1-3
- …before ME – so that’s Jesus Christ talking.
- And the Lord whom ye seek…
- Many were looking for the Messiah before Jesus came. Now, they weren’t looking forward to his death, burial, and resurrection, but they were certainly looking for the man that would be God in the flesh.
- …suddenly come to HIS temple…
- First coming – about my Father’s business was what Jesus Christ said as a young boy in the temple.
- Second Coming – 2 Thessalonians 2, Jesus Christ will clean the temple at the Second Coming.
- …messenger of the covenant whom ye delight in…
- This is the new covenant spoken of by Jeremiah and thoroughly explained in the book of Hebrews.
Purifying way (vss 2-4)
- Both the first coming and second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ are purifying times.
- Refiners’ fire at the second coming – 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8
- Fullers’ soap at the first coming – washed sin away. (Isaiah 1:18 & Revelation 1:5)
- He will purify them! Then they’ll offer sacrifices in righteousness! It’s not that they’ll offer a sacrifice in righteousness and then he’ll purify them because of their sacrifice. They’re purified in order to offer worthy sacrifices. See 1 Peter 2:5, 9
- Offerings all through the Bible are an indication of righteousness. The offering doesn’t make souls righteous, but it is an indicator of whether righteousness resides in the one offering. Abel as example. These priests as examples in Malachi.
Punishing way (vs 5)
- Against sorcerers. Christians know more about magic, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Supernatural, fairy tales and magic than they do the Bible.
- Against adulterers
- Against false swearers
- Against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, the fatherless – socialist dictators and oppressors who use people
Promising way (vs 6)
- Eternal security of the nation of Israel
- Lamentations 3:22-26