Text: Colossians 2:18-19
Rewards are Compensation
- Reward is compensation for labor. It’s not a gift.
- When good is returned for good, reward signifies to repay, to recompense, to compensate.
- When evil or suffering is return for wickedness, reward signifies to punish with just retribution, to take vengeance on, according to the nature of the case.
- Verses that define rewards:
- Deuteronomy 32:41 I will render vengeance to my enemies; and will reward them that hate me.
- Matthew 16:27 The Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father, with his angels, and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
- 1 Corinthians 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
- 2 Timothy 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:
- Revelation 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
Rewards from Jesus Christ have the most value
- Colossians 3:23-24
- Genesis 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
- Hebrews 11:6, 24-26
- 1 Peter 1:3-5
- 1 Timothy 5:17-18, this is present wages for the purpose of laboring in the scripture like a pastor.
Rewards that get lost in religion
- Commandments and doctrines of men in verse 22
- Angel worship
- Jehovah Witness
- Roman Catholicism and prayer to saints
- Religion and putting on a show has always been a problem
- People want to see things no one else sees.
- Know things no one else knows.
- Ultimately to be important in the eyes of others.
- Matthew 5:12, 46, 6:1-2, 4-6, 16-21 (If ye be dead with Christ according to Colossians 2:20, then money doesn’t have a hold on me.)
- If ye then be risen with Christ… (3:1-5)
- Look, you don’t use the taste, touch, handle to impress God, you mortify your members so you can make them serve the Lord Jesus Christ. In order to get the rewards found from doing 3:17-24.