Text: Genesis 4:1-8, Hebrews 11:4
Let’s look at Hebrews 11:4 and discuss Abel’s faith.
An active faith
- By faith Abel OFFERED…
- By faith describes the performance of faith
- Genesis 4:3 …process of time…
- The process of time suggests that Cain did the right thing for a while, but over time something changed and he decided to offer something else.
- Perhaps Cain’s fruit trees were in season and he decided to offer something from the garden.
- Time is the trial afforded by God to test the metal of faith.
An superior faith
- offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain…
- Both of them offered something to God.
- Excellent because Abel’s was a SACRIFICE.
- Abel’s offering more excellent because the COST was greater.
- Excellent because of obedience.
- Offerings are a response to God’s revelation of Himself.
- Offerings are about God, not about you. Excellent because Abel regarded what God wanted, not what he wanted.
A justifying faith
- by which he obtained witness that he was righteous…
- The offering wasn’t what made him righteous, his offering was the result of his righteousness.
- And God testified of his righteousness when the sacrifice was made just as God testified of Cain’s wickedness when his sacrifice was made.
- …God testifying of his gifts…
- Genesis 4:4-5 …respect unto Abel…Cain and to his offering he had not respect….
- You could bring your service to God and He might not accept it.
- You can’t even approach God without a sacrifice.
An enduring faith
- …he being dead yet speaketh.
- The first record of the human family are not cave pictures. (No such thing as cavemen.) It is a story of religion, faith, obedience, persecution, hatred, and murder.
- Revealed from faith to faith as faith is passed on, enduring the test of time. Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
- Persecuted for his faith. Abel left a testimony.
- Now, what’s your testimony in this life?