God created marriage. It’s not a creation of the state, but an institution of God.
Text: Genesis 2:18-25
- Out of it comes the sociological truth that men and women are distinct and complementary – not good that man should be alone.
- Out of it comes the biological truth that reproduction requires a man and a woman – heirs together of the grace of life. Science says we can do it without a man and a woman. No, you can’t.
- Out of it comes the spiritual reality that love is learned in commitment.
- Out of it comes the generational truth that children need a mother and a father. Or generally said a father figure and a mother figure where mom and dad are not present for whatever reason.
Priority – Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother
- It is changing relational priorities
- The most important relationship is with mom and dad until marriage
- A marriage loses priority for one of two reasons; neglect or retreat.
- You communicate priority with:
- Time – Time is the commodity of relationships. Sometimes we put so much time into other people we neglect our own family.
- Energy – devote energy to the relationship – actively participate.
- Attitude – positive and affirming. Spouse should be best friend. Esteeming one another
- You keep marriage a priority by:
- Date nights
- make much of your mutual interests
- take an interest in the other’s interests
- The Lord Jesus Christ left glory to pursue and make his relationship with sinners as his priority.
Pursuit – and shall cleave unto his wife
- Secondly, it is a PURSUIT, meaning it is accomplished on purpose; it requires you to move in the direction of forgiveness, charity, compassion, wisdom, selflessness.
- Wife: What are you doing?. Husband: Nothing. Wife: You did nothing yesterday. Husband: I’m not finished.
- Desire to spend time
- Time spent
- Empathy and understanding
- Marriages don’t work by accident, they require attention and commitment. It is the basis for love, not that love is the basis for marriage.
Possession – and they two shall be one flesh
- The third part of Genesis 2:24 where God defines marriage is the POSSESSION; it is a joining together.
- The Lord Jesus Christ concluded his answer to the Pharisees in Matthew 19:6 with, What therefore God hath joined together (man & woman), let not man put asunder.
- Marriage is joining together; lives are shared physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually.
- What is God’s design in joining a man and woman together? Two things:
- Fellowship – intimacy and companionship with your spouse.
- Fruitfulness – Though God can create without two parties involved He has designed people to be fruitful, heirs together of the grace of life – John 15:5
Purity – and they were both naked… and were not ashamed
- Another word for purity would be holiness.
- Marriage is supposed to have a purifying effect.