Put on the New Man
Text: Colossians 3:12
If you work at Whataburger, you wear a Whataburger uniform. If you work at Burger King you wear a Burger King uniform. But a Christian’s occupation is spiritual. A Christian is elect of God, holy and beloved by God, here is the dress code for someone occupying the position of God’s elect, holy and beloved. Put on:
- That which comes nearest to it is grace. It implies benevolence, tenderness, mildness, pity or compassion, and clemency, but exercised only towards offenders. Favor toward an offending party.
- Mercy is the attitude when there is nothing the offending party can do to make things right. It is fully in your hand to address the relationship.
- Philippians 2:1-2
- Brandt Jean, brother of Botham Jean who was accidentally killed by officer Amber Guyger: “If you truly are sorry, I can speak for myself, I forgive and I know if you go to God and ask him, he will forgive you. And I don’t think anyone can say it, again I’m speaking for myself… but I love you just like anyone else. And I’m not gonna say I hope you rot and die just like my brother did but I presently want the best for you. And I wasn’t going to ever say this in front of my family or anyone, but I don’t even want you to go to jail. I want the best for you, because I know that’s exactly what Botham would want you to do. And the best would be to give your life to Christ. I’m not going to say anything else. I think giving your life to Christ would be the best thing that Botham would want you to do. Again I love you as a person and I don’t wish anything bad on you. I don’t know if this is possible, but can I give her a hug, please? Please?”
- Good will; benevolence; that temper or disposition which delights in contributing to the happiness of others, which is exercised cheerfully in gratifying their wishes, supplying their wants or alleviating their distresses; benignity of nature
- Oskar Schindler saved 1,200 Jews from concentration camps. Their occupation would be their salvation. The Czech-born Schindler “was nothing if not a complicated man,” Carr-Wilcoxson said. He saved Jews who worked in his factory yet that factory made armaments for the Nazis, she said. While he saved Jews from death camps, Schindler was an early supporter of Adolf Hitler, Carr-Wilcoxson said. And as he worked with his wife to save others, he “wasn’t the most faithful husband,” she said.
Humbleness of mind
- Low; opposed to high or lofty.
- Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
- Think highly of myself or I think humbly of myself.
- Softness of temper; mildness; gentleness; forbearance under injuries and provocations.
- Moses most meek of all men. There are some people who seek leadership office, but others have it put on them. Moses wasn’t ambitious for a position, his leadership came from a duty to the Lord and the Lord’s people.
- Bearing injuries or provocation for a long time; patient; not easily provoked.
- The main element is not being easily provoked.
- 2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;