Text: Colossians 3:14
Charity is the mortar that holds the saints together as they are perfected. If the structure will hold together and not fall apart, then we can live in the structure. Then we can rest in the structure. Then we can enjoy time in the structure. Perfection is the house and charity is what holds it together. You can have all the wood for the house, but no way of putting the pieces together then you just have a bunch of pieces. And the pieces aren’t really that valuable without being put together. A 2×4 is just a 2×4. But if it’s part of a frame of a house then it is more valuable because of its relationship to the other pieces.
Charity is value
- Charity is substance (1 Corinthians 13:2), what a statement, I am nothing. So you aren’t something because of what you know or the talent you’ve been given. You are something when you give of yourself for someone else. A life that benefits no one else is a worthless life
- Charity is value (1 Corinthians 13:3). All my goods… give my body to be burned. Bankrupt Christianity
Charity holds the people together so life can happen
- 1 Peter 4:8
Charity holds the people together so rest can occur
- 1 Timothy 1:5 the end of the commandment is charity…
Charity holds the people together so growth can occur
- 1 Corinthians 8:1 Charity edifieth, like and edifice, a building, charity is building up.
Charity holds the people together so provision is made
- 1 Corinthians 12:31 charity is the more excellent way. Spiritual gifts are good and necessary, but without charity they are nothing.
Marriage is the basis for love. I learn love when I’m committed to someone else.
Christian fellowship is the basis for growth.