Holy vs Unholy
Text: 1 Samuel 5
The Philistines capture the ark of the covenant. It was the piece of furniture in the tabernacle that represented the presence of God to Israel. It contained an area on top of it called the mercy seat where God would meet with the high priest in Israel in a fire. But now the Philistines have captured the ark. But they won’t want it very long. The Lord is going to fight for Himself among the Philistines. And the ark will be passed like a hot potato to five major cities of the Philistines as the Lord leaves a path of destruction in each city the ark passes through. In this chapter, the holy vessel, sanctified by God, the ark of the covenant, will be set among an unholy and unsanctified people.
Place of exclusion versus a place of inclusion (vss 1-2)
- The attitude of unbelievers is idols share space and it’s no big deal.
- Unprepared people
- The Lord Jesus Christ is exclusive; I am THE way, THE truth, THE life.
- The Lord would never allow idols to sit in His tabernacle.
- Isaiah 42:8 God will not share His glory
- What fellowship hath light with darkness?
- Ye cannot serve two masters
Powerful God versus impotent idol (vss 3-5)
- One god needs to be set up while the true God fights for Himself. God Almighty doesn’t NEED human hands.
- Plant a saint Christopher in the yard to sell the house. Patron saint of you name it. And it’s just this piece of plastic or wood.
- Is your god wobbly?
- On the other hand; I can’t defend God’s word, I need it to defend me. I can’t protect God’s word, I need it to protect me. I don’t help faith that comes from God’s word, I need the faith of God to help me.
Heavy hand of God (vss 6-9)
- Philistines are struck with hemorrhoids.
- Three times in these verses it’s noted that the hand of the Lord was heavy on the Philistines (6, 7, 9)
- Heathen will come to hate the presence of God.
- Not endure sound doctrine means they won’t put up with holiness. Paul’s advice to Timothy is to then do the work of an evangelist. Find other people when a congregation becomes overrun with “Christians” who won’t put up with holiness.
God will be magnified among the heathen no matter what (vss 10-12)
- Ark goes to Ekron which is sort of the major capital where the chief God of the Philistines is. His name is Baalzebub. Baal for short. The same Beelzebub the folks accused Jesus Christ of promoting when He cast out devils since Beelzebub was the prince of devils.
- God has no place among us! Says the unholy in verse 11.
- Revelation 9:20-21 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.
- Christian, you tired of this evil world? Take heart, Jesus Christ will be magnified in this earth one day.
- But that means to all, the LORD wins in the end. If you’re not serving Him in righteousness it’s time to get on the winning side.