Text: Matthew 13:51-52
- In your house you have old things that have value to you and you have new things that have value to you. The old things either have sentimental value and are nostalgic or they are tools that are reliable. The new things are more about convenience or style probably.
- The one who has been instructed in Christ’s kingdom becomes the evangelist of the treasure. He brings out old testament treasure and will be given new testament treasure in Jesus Christ.
Preeminence of Jesus Christ
- Old was established with the blood of bulls and goats, but the new is established with the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Matthew 26:28 and Hebrews 9:13-22
- Old is the letter of the law, but the new is the Spirit of the law. 2 Corinthians 3:3-17
- (Illustration of “I’m not touching you,” obeys the letter but not the Spirit.) The old is the shadow and the new is the object. The old was very glorious, but the new is even more glorious. The Lord is the spirit, he is the new covenant, he is the more glorious.
- Deuteronomy 10:11 the old addressed the spirit, but the written code of enforcement dealt with man’s actions. At least when it came to crime, punishment, and sacrifice.
- Jeremiah 31:31-34
- The new covenant describes the work of God’s Holy Spirit poured out by Jesus Christ after his blood has been shed for remission of sins and raised
- Jeremiah 31:33 with John 14:23-27
- Jeremiah 31:34 with 1 John 2:26-27
- 1 Corinthians 15:44-46
- Matthew 5:27, 33, 38, 43 The Lord is that Spirit and describes the spirit
Preachers bring out the old and new treasure to show off
- Luke 24:44
- Job 19:21-
- Job 33?
- Lamb sacrificed
- Boaz redeemer
- Mordecai ruler
- Paul and Romans