The Way of Cain
Text: Genesis 4:1-18
Cain is the firstborn. Adam and Eve will find the chickens have come home to roost so to speak. The sin they brought into the world reaches its peak in Cain. He murders his brother because he’s envious that God has accepted Abel’s offering. Jude 1:11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain…
Way of Cain is persecution of the faithful (vss 1-8)
- Process of time means he must have been doing right for a while, but for one reason or another decided he’d do his own thing.
- 1 John 3:12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother’s righteous.
Way of Cain is eternally lost (vss 9-15)
- There will be no place found for Cain. Notice verses 11-14. At judgment there is no place for the wicked. They are cast out forever.
- The way the Lord words things is great. Voice of the blood sounds like a crime scene investigation. These experts trying to “hear the message” of the crime scene and determine what happened and why.
- This is the man’s blood that the earth drinks up. The earth will get tired of bloodshed and will sometimes vomit the inhabitants out (Numbers 35:33).
Way of Cain is the appearance of success without God (vss 16-18)
- Cain leaves the presence of God, but he’s not lost in the world. He becomes successful and builds an entire city.