Christ and the conscience
Text: Matthew 14:1-2
Herod hears of the fame of the Lord Jesus Christ and immediately his conscience brings to mind his sin. Herod sees others according to his own sin.
Voice of your conscience
- Your conscience convicts you (John 8:9)
- Your conscience accuses and excuses you (Romans 2:14-15)
- Your conscience bears witness in the Holy Ghost (Romans 9:1)
- Your conscience has a testimony (2 Corinthians 1:12)
- So it is true that it is a voice; it is a voice that informs your will.
- 1 Corinthians 10:25-27 don’t stir up an issue that doesn’t need to be stirred up
Varieties of conscience
- Weak conscience (1 Corinthians 8:7-12)
- Seared conscience (1 Timothy 4:2)
- Defiled conscience (Titus 1:15)
- Evil conscience (Hebrews 10:22) You probably would not want to trust in one like that.
- Good conscience before the Lord (1 Peter 3:16, 21)
- Paul developed a conscience void of offence (Acts.24:16)
- 2 Corinthians 4:2 Paul knew that he was an example to every man’s conscience,
- Purged conscience in Hebrews 9:11-14 means there is no more sacrifice to be offered. See Hebrews 10:1-2, 22