Text: Colossians 3:16
Music can help you live the Christian life or music can hinder your Christian life. The longest book in the Bible is a songbook.
Music is the best teacher
- From nursery rhymes and ABCs all the way to depressing music that has encouraged many a teenager to go so far as suicide. Music is an incredibly powerful teacher.
- Psalm 49:4
- Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16 – teaching one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.
- In 2 Kings 3:15 a minstrel played and the hand of the Lord was on Elisha.
- There are many times music accompanies prophecy like in the book of Psalms, 1 Chronicles 25:1-3, and 1 Samuel 10:5-6. And even in our church services, this is why we sing before and sometimes after the preaching.
Music will fill you
- Music is a great teacher because melody is memory. You’ll remember songs so well sometimes that you CAN’T get them out of your heart even when you want to. Music will put words in you and a spirit in you. Music sets the mood, it creates the atmosphere. Music has a way of filling a vessel like nothing else does.
- Go to the bar to forget, listen to bar music, drink more than you wanted to and you’re drunk.
- Proverbs 25:20 is a principle at work.
- 1 Samuel 16:14-23 David changes the mood with music.
- Club, loud music, fornication, that’s the spirit of the thing. Woodstock was a giant drug infested, lust filled, gathering of people listening to songs about drugs and fornication.
- David plays for Saul and the evil spirit leaves Saul.
Principles of music
- Music must be Biblically accurate. Our verse says Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Your music should direct your thoughts toward godliness. So if your music at church reminds you of the music you heard at the bar or at the rock concert where drugs and sex were prevalent, you probably don’t understand what you’re doing to the people or the purpose the music you’re playing.
- Emotions are the main reason people sin. The feeling becomes more important than the truth. So a drug addict who knows they’re dying from drugs will continue to die from drugs because the emotion tied to it is so strong.
- Music is like a drug in that it stirs emotions. And the feeling becomes more important than the truth.
- Now, emotions aren’t bad, God created them. Emotions, feelings, desires just need to submit themselves to the truth, not the other way around.
- Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs will get the Lord involved. Consider 2 Chronicles 20:21-22 where the Lord fights a battle through the musicians.
- Numbers 10:9-10 Israel was to convey truth the way it’s affected them.
- The longest book in the Bible is a songbook.
- Now being filled with the Spirit of God is like being drunk on alcohol in some ways. As we’ve seen, music has a way of filling a person like nothing few other things do.
- It will affect how you walk, talk. It’ll affect your courage and sorrow.