Days of Noah
Text: Genesis 6:1-22
The sons of God (vss 1-4)
- These sons of God are angels in the Old Testament Job 38:7. (Note: There are 4 options for who these sons of God are, but only one fits. Israel is God’s son, but Israel won’t exist for another 1000 years. Jesus Christ is God’s only begotten son, but Jesus Christ isn’t a man yet, he won’t be born for another 2500 years. Saved people are sons of God, but only if they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ who hasn’t come yet. Adam was a son of God, but Adam is dead. Lastly, angels are sons of God, and they are the only ones that fit this description.)
- Genesis 18:2, 16-22 then 19:1-5, Sodom and Gomorrha’s two angels are men.
- Joshua 5:13-15 Joshua draws his sword, but finds out this is the angel of the Lord, the captain of Lord’s army.
- Luke 24:4, two men who were angels at the tomb
- Acts 1:10, the disciples talked to two men after the ascension of the Lord Jesus Christ who were angels.
- His spirit will no longer strive with man’s vile flesh. Genesis 6:3, 5-7
- ...he also is flesh… Also? Who else is flesh?
- Jude 6-7
- When these angels with superior genetics produced children, they were larger than life, known for their physical attributes, celebrities, renown. They are sexual predators, deviants, polygamists, and fornicators.
- 2 Peters 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
- Celebrity of fallen angels 6:4
The superiority of gods in their morals and beliefs (vss 5-8)
- Moral superiority based on physical characteristics
- Immersion into evil – …EVERY imagination of the thoughts of his heart was ONLY evil CONTINUALLY… In 10 generations man has gone from paradise, to a knowledge of good and evil, to ONLY EVIL CONTINUALLY.
- First case of repentance in the Bible is God repenting that He made man.The angels that left their own habitation because of carnality. Mankind was consumed with carnality. The culture was eat up with strongest, fastest, prettiest.
- Los Angeles (city of angels) where the renown, celebrities, pretty people, and where our culture learns how to live, what to wear, what to listen to, what to watch – Los Angeles.
- 6:11,13 describes the world culture as violent. People loving death, sex, drunkenness, partying, fornicating, and corruption. All flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth (vs 12).
The soul that found grace (vss 9-13)
- Noah saved by grace through faith. (Genesis 6:8, Hebrews 11:7)
- How many people on the earth in Noah’s day? Just taking current growth rate there would’ve been just under a billion people on the earth. But considering people were living much longer and having children for much longer time frame there were many more than this. If you just add 1/1000th of a percent to the current growth rate you end up with 4 billion people on the earth. Realistically though we’re looking at 19 or 20 billion people.
- God’s grace (Genesis 6:8) in light of God’s judgment; God’s desire to save mankind in light of his His unwanted judgment of the world with a flood.
- Noah finds the grace of God.
- Noah is perfect in his generations and a just man.
- Noah walks with God.
The sudden wrath of God (vss 14-22)
- Believer is prepared for God’s wrath
- Grace of God will be found in the ark of salvation (Genesis 6:14-16)
- By grace through faith is the recipe.
- The ark was built in the open, was not hidden, just like Jesus Christ. We’re not told how long it took to build the ark; 20 years? 40 years? 80 years? But God allowed 120 years from his warning to Noah. Imagine Noah finishes the ark after 80 years. For the next 40 years he is a preacher of righteousness as Peter said.
- Unbeliever is unprepared for God’s wrath
- 7:17-20. So in 40 days the water went 15 cubits (26 ft) above the tallest mountain (29,029). That is a torrential flood of 726 ft over the whole earth every 24 hours. Or 30 ¼ ft every hour over the entire earth. Or 6 ft of water over the whole earth every minute. This happens so fast there is no time to respond if you’re not ready. Fossils are formed in this massive flood of water pressure.
- And while the believer, Noah, is prepared for the wrath of God, the unbeliever is obviously not. This is why the days of Noah are like the coming of the Son of Man. Matthew 24:37-41 – The sudden destruction of the flood is a type of the coming of the Son of man (Luke 17:26-27).