Text: Genesis 11
The point of this chapter is to get to Abram, the next man God will use in His redemptive plan for mankind. Genesis 5 gets you from Adam to Noah – 10 generations – the man God will use. Then spends 5 chapters showing how Noah was used of God. Then Genesis 11 gets you from Noah to Abram, the next man God will use.
- First of all, unity is not a bad thing. Unity around the things of God are wonderful! But when sinners unite to promote themselves it just leads to more sin, better ways to sin, and innovation that will increase sin.
- Globalism, United Nations (League of Nations)
- The purpose of this unity is stated in verse 4.
- Reach up to heaven.
- Make a name for ourselves.
- Lest we be forced to become independent nations.
- You were already told man’s imagination is only evil from his youth. Nothing in his imagination will be restrained.
Directed steps by the Lord
- The Lord lays an obstacle in the path of man to prevent greater wickedness. Proverbs 16:9 A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. God makes it so if you’re going to do this evil, you’ll at least have to walk around this obstacle to get there.
- Think about God confounding the languages and how an unbelieving world would interpret that event. It would not be attributed to God. There would be some material, physical explanation for it.
- When God puts an obstacle in man’s way to make it more difficult for man to live godless lives, man has some explanation because he won’t attribute it to God.
- Acts 17:26
Abram identified in the aftermath
- Leadership is identified in the aftermath
- They call the land Haran after Abram’s brother.
- From this point on in Genesis Abram and his family become the focus of the Lord.