Gospel according to Mary
Text: Luke 1:46-56
Soul magnifies the LORD (vs 46)
- Mary says something similar to what John the Baptist said, He must increase, but I must decrease.
- Jesus Christ should be getting more and more of your life, more and more of your mind, more and more of your heart, more and more of your attitude. The DAYSTAR should be arising in your hearts if you’re saved.
- This year has been a purging. Either Jesus Christ has been purged from your life, or some dead branches have been purged from your life. Some people watching sermons from the house should be in church, but they’re finding it easier and easier to just stay home from God’s prescription for worship.
- Maybe you’re finding Jesus Christ occupies less space in your life than He did earlier this year.
- Not only is magnifying something mean it appears bigger, but it also means you find details that you didn’t see before.
Rejoice in God my Savior (vs 47)
- Mary is correct to say her soul magnifies the LORD while her spirit rejoices. The spirit is the emotional container. I mention that so you understand Mary’s statement is biologically, factually, clinically true.
- Psalm 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
- Habakuk 3:18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
God’s regard for the lowly (vss 48-50)
- Psalm 34:18, 57:17
- Isaiah 57:15 (also note that HOLY is His name)
- James 4:6 …God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
His strength (vss 51-53)
- My strength is sufficient for you
- The strength of your weakness vs the weakness of your strength
- Proud and how they imagine themselves to be versus how they are.
- He fills the hungry and rebukes the rich.
- Matthew 5:6
- Revelation 3:17-18 these people imagine themselves to be something they aren’t
Seed of Abraham (vss 54-55)
- Galatians 3:16 then go back to Galatians 3:2 and let’s see this whole context