Promises to Abram
Text: Genesis 12
The LORD’S national promises to Abram (vss 1-5)
- God will show Abram the land that will be his.
- Make a great nation, so the context with Abram is national.
- Bless Abram
- Make Abram’s name great
- Make Abram a blessing
- Bless those that bless Abram
- Curse those that curse Abram
- Hebrews 11:8 says Abram removed himself and his family by faith.
The LORD reiterates his promises to Abram (vss 6-9)
- Enemies of God are in the land, but God intends to recover the land through Abram.
- Abram hears encouragement from the Lord and then builds an altar in the land.
- Here’s the second time this phrase shows up in verse that a man called upon the name of the LORD.
The state of the promised land (vss 10-13)
- Not only are the enemies of God in the land, but there is a bad famine in the land when Abram gets there. Perhaps because of the wickedness of the Canaanites who were already there? But the famine is harsh there.
- Famine runs Abram out of the land.
- Abram fears in Egypt and lies about Sarai.
God’s blessing clearly on Abram (vss 14-20)
- Abram’s failure makes it clear that God is going to bless Abram as He said. And He’s going to bless Abram in spite of Abram’s failure.