Shadows of the Savior
Jesus Christ is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. God the Father and God the Son and the Holy Spirit of God all knew the plan of salvation for mankind. And the record God kept was a shadow of Christ. Even the prophecies put on full display the things that were pleasing to God.
Faith – Christ will come out of Abraham
- Genesis 22:18 and Galatians 3:16
Sacrifice – Christ will come out of Judah
- Judah offers himself as a payment for sin (Genesis 43:9, 44:33-34)
- Genesis 49:8-12 Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father’s children shall bow down before thee. 9 Judah is a lion’s whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? 10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. 11 Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass’s colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes: 12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.
Affections – Christ will issue out of David’s lineage
- Psalm 132:11 The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.
- 2 Samuel 7:1-3 which leads to the promise in 2 Samuel 7:12
- Christ will be born in Bethlehem
- 1 Samuel 20:6 → John 7:42 David was from Bethlehem
- Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
The nation of Israel doesn’t exist for the sake of the nation. Israel exists for the sake of Christ.