Abram and Lot
Text: Genesis 12-14 & 18-19
Whenever Abram and Lot appear together in the Bible, Abram is a type of Christ while Lot is a type of the nation of Israel.
- Lot is a type of Israel because he is physically related to Abraham. Just like Israel is physically related to the man Jesus Christ.
- Lot’s inheritance is Abram’s inheritance. Just like Israel shares in Christ’s inheritance.
- Lot is carnal just like the nation of Israel and would vex themselves with worldliness (2 Peter 2:6-9). Ultimately the nation of Israel would spiritually be called Sodom (Revelation 11:8, Isaiah 1:9-10, Amos 4:11).
- Lot will escape worldly judgment but most of his family will be destroyed. God will use Lot’s affiliation with Sodom as a warning to Israel for all future generations.
- Luke 10:12, 17:28-30
The first coming of the LORD Jesus Christ
- In chapters 12-14 the events that the Holy Ghost highlights happen again in the life of Christ at his first coming. This is incredible.
- Chapter 12
- Abram goes to the promised land and Jesus Christ is born in Bethlehem.
- Abram goes down into Egypt and Jesus Christ is taken down into Egypt.
- Chapter 13
- Abram returns to promised land area of Samaria, same area Jesus Christ will grow up around Nazareth.
- Abram’s people contend with Lot’s people, just like followers of Jesus Christ would contend with physical Jews.
- Abram separates from Lot and the promise is confirmed in Abram, just like the promise is clearly in Christ.
- Chapter 14
- Lot is taken as a prisoner of war along with all his goods and those of Sodom, just like Israel is taken by the nations.
- Abram delivers Lot and all his goods just like Jesus Christ goes to the lost sheep of the house of Israel and offer deliverance from sin to the nation.
- After this deliverance Abram meets a mysterious figure named Melchizedek.
- Melchizedek typifies God the Father.
- Melchizedek blesses Abram like the Father blesses Jesus Christ.
- Melchizedek remembers the deliverance with bread and wine like the Lord’s supper how Christ’s body is remembered.
- Notice what Melchizedek says in 14:19
- Abram offers tithes of the spoils of war to Melchizedek just like Jesus Christ will bring the first spoils of deliverance to heaven in Matthew 27:52, Psalm 66:18 with Ephesians 4:8.
The Second Coming
- The next time you see Lot and Abram is in Genesis 18 where God’s wrath is going to be poured out on Sodom and Gomorrah, where Lot is living. Abram is the mediator. Angels warn Lot of coming destruction. Revelation where the angels warn of coming judgment. Lot welcomes the angels, but no one Lot warns believes him. Lot is pulled out of the city by angels – when Christ gathers the elect in Matthew 24. Then God burns Sodom and Gomorrah to the ground and Lot loses everything he’d invested in this world, same as Israel will do. So this judgment will be likened to the second coming of Christ.