Christ the Rock
Exodus 17 (17:6) – The LORD goes before Moses to the rock and stands on the rock. The LORD tells Moses to smite the rock and the flock of Israel would be watered. The LORD is not the physical rock, but it was an illustration of Christ.
Numbers 20:7-12 – The type is so strong that when Moses hits the rock twice a little later on, the LORD prevents Moses from entering the promised land. Notice in verse 12 that the one speaking to Moses is the LORD Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 10:1-5 Christ is the spiritual Rock that followed the flock and watched the flock of Israel. The baptism was the teaching and the law Moses gave from Mount Sinai. (Notice how baptism is used in Matthew 28:19-20. Baptism unto Jesus Christ is the teaching of the LORD Jesus Christ.)
Deuteronomy 32 (vss 4, 15-20, 28-33) – Moses’ last exhortation to the nation of Israel is recorded here. Moses reinforces the LORD typified by the rock. Here is the spiritual DNA found in Christ’s words:
- vs 4 – perfect work, ways are judgment, truth, just and right
- Vs 6 bought thee…made thee…established thee
- vs 15 – lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation
- vs 16-18 – forgotten God that formed thee. They counterfeit the Rock with their own rock.
- vs 28-31 – Jews flee for their lives because they’ve gone after another rock.
- thier rock is not as our Rock
- Dome of the Rock, where Mohamed supposedly ascended.
- Ka’ba in Mecca housing the Black Stone. Islamic worship of the stone, and Islamic tradition say the stone came out of heaven in Adam and Eve’s day.
- Roman Catholicism says Peter is the rock.
1 Samuel 2:1-2 – Hannah is faithful and familiar with Moses’ words and this typology.
2 Samuel 22 (vss 2, 3, 32, 47) – David’s last song describes the LORD as the Rock (Psalm 18). And David’s last words 2 Samuel 23:1-3.
We’ll pick up the clear statements in Psalm 31:2-3. (Also in Psalm 42, 61, 62, 71, and several others.)
- Psalm 118:22 quoted by Jesus in Matthew 21:42-46; Pharisees understood he was speaking of himself and them.
- Daniel 2:31-45
Isaiah 8:13-15 – Isaiah says the rock would either be a sanctuary for those who trust in Him or a devastating and destructive force of judgment for those who deny Him. Isaiah 28:14-17 further describes the Rock that will be laid in Zion.
- 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Matthew 16:18
Christ is the Rock. He is shelter, a refuge, strength, trustworthy, reliable, a foundation. If you mine the Rock you find treasure, you dig in the Rock you find water. If you drill into the rock you find oil. Just like in the earth.