Seeing Christ in Abram
Text: Genesis 14
Remember when Lot and Abram show up in the Bible together, Lot is a type of the nation of Israel and Abram is a type of Christ. In this chapter, Lot’s association with Sodom and Gomorrah gets him in trouble and he becomes a prisoner of war until Abram rescues him. The next time Lot’s association with Sodom and Gomorrah gets him in trouble it will cost him everything. And once again it will only be because of Abraham that Lot survives the judgment. This is Lot’s first rescue by Abram.
Time of war and lust – James 4:1-4
Lot’s treasure is in the wrong place – Genesis 14:12
Abram as a type of Christ
- Abram loves Lot even though his bad decisions have cost him – Genesis 14:14
- Abram and his household are already prepared for deliverance – Genesis 14:14
- Abram comes as a thief in the night – Genesis 14:15
- Abram’s victory completely restores what was lost in war – Genesis 14:16
- Abram’s victory celebrated by Melchizedek – priest of the Most High God – Genesis 14:18
- Abram makes an offering to the Most High God – Genesis 14:20
- Abram rejects the king of Sodom’s offer – Genesis 14:22-24. Just like the devil to exchange goods for souls in verse 21.