This helmet is not physical just as nothing else in this armor is physical. If you trust Jesus Christ you can still suffer head injuries. God said we wrestle not against flesh and after describing spiritual warfare and the spiritual armor at our disposal, we now move to the head. Not your physical head, but your mind.
Salvation, the promise of the redemption of the body, a certain future in new heaven and new earth without sin, without trouble, or any curse has an affect on the mind. Salvation is a protection against all kinds of thoughts.
Guard your mind discouragement
- Hope of salvation is a helmet that guards against overwhelming sorrow.
- 1 Corinthians 15:30-32, 54-58
- Paul asked some reasonable questions like why is he putting his life in jeopardy if there wasn’t anything beyond the grave.
- He says we haven’t seen yet the full extent of obedience, so don’t quit, be stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.
- The investment is well worth it. Are you studying the Bible so you’ll know it to teach others? Keep it up. Are you teaching others? Keep it up. Are you holding signs on the street for the LORD? Keep it up. Are you passing out tracts and telling friends about the LORD? Keep it up.
- 2 Timothy 1:8-12 & Hebrews 10:34
- So salvation meets mental discouragement with the absolute assurance of a future hope! Thus protects the mind.
Guard your mind from temptation
- Hope of salvation is a helmet that guards against this world becoming too attractive.
- 1 John 3:1-3
- Attraction to the world will make you dirty.
Guard your mind from doubt
- Hope of salvation is a helmet that gives clarity to your purpose and guards against double mindedness. Salvation is a helmet that dissolves doubts.
- Philippians 1:20-23
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8
Guard your mind from fears
- Hope of salvation is a helmet that alleviates certain unreasonable fears.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:1-2,
Guard your mind from becoming cold toward others
- Salvation testimony of drunk whose wife was always nice and compassionate to him. Knowing if he never gets saved, this is the best it will ever get for him.
- Matthew 5:43-48
Salvation enables a soul to serve God with joy, peace, sound mind, love, patience, and determination.