This is the first time the word prophet is used by God. The LORD calls Abraham a prophet.
Prophet not immune to the old nature (vss 1-7)
- Old ways die hard (vss 1-2)
- We’ll do what’s familiar when we’re faithless.
- God honors the promised seed who will be Christ in spite of faithlessness.
- Abimelech’s dream
- Herein is the first time in the Bible where the word “prophet” appears. Now, if there was ever a time God wouldn’t want to introduce Abraham as a prophet, I would think it would be right here.
- It must come from Abraham so the heathen will know how God works.
- Tells us that “the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”
God’s people reproved by the heathen (vss 8-13)
- Heathen do by nature the things in the law (vss 8-10). This is before Moses’ law, but adultery is clearly a sin to Abimelech.
- Perhaps this nation is MORE righteous than our nation?!
- Fear of man brings a snare (vss 11-13)
Blessings on the prophet and from the prophet (vss 14-18)
- Restitution (v 14)
- Release (v 15)
- Reproof (v 16)
- Revival (vss 17-18)