Text: Genesis 21;1-13
There are several types and pictures in this chapter and we’ll look at one in particular this evening. The birth of Isaac is very much like the new birth of the child of God. Galatians 4:322-26.
Birth according to the words of God
- James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
- 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
Birth in spite of the impotence of the flesh
- Abraham and Sarah could not have children together.
- One description of them is they were dead.
- It has to be a spiritual birth because it is impossible physically.
Birth brought about conflict in the home
- Two sons, one of the flesh and the other of the Spirit. They will not get along.
- A Christian will deal with this conflict the rest of his natural life.
Birth revealed the character of Ishmael, the flesh
- Much may seem good about the flesh until it is put in contrast with the new man.
- The comparison reveals the flesh for what it is.