This chapter is the climax or everything that’s gone on in Abraham and Sarah’s life. Leaving their home for a land that God will show them. Being given land by God, but no heir, then asking the LORD for an heir. The LORD purposely waiting until they could not have children to give them a child born by the power of the word of God. That child, Isaac, being Sarah and Abraham’s only child together, the sole heir of the promised land, is now going to be put on the altar. This is the ultimate qualifier for Abraham’s faith.
Faith on Trial (vss 1-2)
- Whatever people believe, whether they believe the Bible or Islam or whatever it is, the test of one’s beliefs, which is their foundation, is how that belief is lived out. Faith animated by flesh and blood is real.
- Let me take an extreme example. If a Muslim suicide bomber blows himself up because the Quran says in chapter 9, surah 5 When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. If they repent and take to prayer and render the alms levy, allow them to go their way. God is forgiving and merciful.
Work of faith (vss 3-14)
- Works of the law are not works of faith.
- Hebrews 11:17-19 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: 19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
- Your talk talks and your walk talks, but your walk talks louder than your talk talks.
- Actions speak louder than words.
- Now I know…
- James 2:14-26 these works are not the same works as Romans 3:28, 4:2, 6
- Puts God’s resurrection power on display. John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
- It allows the spirit of Christ to work.What is precious that comes out of this trial is that God the Father will see Christ the Son as a result of the trial.
- Faith can be justified many times in someone’s life, in fact every time one is obedient to the LORD faith is justified and faith has life.
Blessings because of obedience (vss 15-19)
- The LORD is able to work and to bless in a work of faith.
- Look at verse 16, because thou hast done this thing… So this is now the cause of the multiplied blessing of God. Abraham has given the LORD one of the biggest platforms to work on.
- James 1:12