This is the third time recorded in Matthew that Jesus Christ has told the disciples about his death, burial, and resurrection.
Do you realize that of the 6000 years of human history 4000 years of it was lived before the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ? Only half of human history is after the resurrection.
It is clear that none of the disciples were expecting the resurrection of Jesus Christ. When Jesus Christ arose from the grave it was a surprise to those closest to him. What that has led many good men to say is that no one expected Christ to die and rise from the dead. The fact is the Lord Jesus Christ was frustrated with the disciples not believing in his death and resurrection. He told them multiple times, quoted scripture to explain it, but to no avail until after these events took place. This is where the New Testament is wonderful for explaining what was believed about salvation, redemption, and eternal life in the Old Testament.
Preaching the gospel to the disciples
- Matthew records several times the LORD Jesus Christ told the disciples that He would die and rise again.
- Matthew 12:39-40 Three days and three nights in the earth
- Matthew 16:21 suffering, death, and resurrection
- Matthew 17:22-23 suffering, death, and resurrection
- Matthew 7:6 seems to be a reference to this event!
Prophets preach the gospel
- Romans 1:1-4 Paul says the scriptures recorded the gospel over and over as we’ve seen a few of them here.
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 …according to the scriptures…
- Job believes in the resurrection in Job 19:25-27
- David believes in the resurrection of Christ in Acts 2:29-33 for Psalm 16:9-10
- Isaiah believes in the resurrection of Christ in Isaiah 53:10-12
- Hosea believes in the resurrection in 1 Corinthians 15:55 for Hosea 13:13-14
- Paul preaches in Acts 13:26-37 and cites three Psalms applying them to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Power of trusting the LORD for resurrected life
- Romans 10:9
- 1 Corinthians 15:17-19
- John 11 Mary and Martha think the resurrection is a day, but it’s not a time, it’s Jesus Christ!