The term Baptist has gone by many names in the past and in the future may change again, but Baptist is simply the name of a congregation most closely resembling God’s New Testament local church. These Biblical doctrines of God’s local church have been neatly organized into an acrostic that spells B-A-P-T-I-S-T-S.
- God’s words are the sole authority. God’s opinion is reality.
- Romans 10:17, also My sheep hear my voice, John 10:27. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, 2 Timothy 3:14-17
- We don’t just say we believe the Bible, we believe the King James Bible. The benefit of a King James Bible believing church is that we all hold the same authority in our hands. This drives out carnality and minimizes divisions. No one has a special access to God more than another because of education or lack thereof. We all have the same access to God and the fact is for each of us the better students of the Bible we are the better decision makers, better fathers, better mothers, better Christians, better deacons, better employees and employers we are.
- The primary benefit of a King James Bible believing congregation is that this book is the words of God.
Autonomy of the local church
- The local church is an independent organization of believers who are accountable directly to the Lord. The Lord Jesus Christ is the head of the body of Christ, the living organism that is his Church (Colossians 1:18). Thus, he is the head of the local church (1 Peter 5:4; 2:25).
- All the human authority of the congregation resides within the congregation. Paul wrote to seven churches in the New Testament, John wrote to seven churches in Revelation, each of them was unique in their strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities.
- Congregational representation – each member has a part. One of the defenses against outside, uncommitted, or people with malicious intent is church membership by mutual agreement between congregation and congregant.
- Consequently, the local church should not be under the authority of a convention, conference, synod, presbytery, pope, or such (1 Corinthians 5:12; 6:4-5).
- Every church exists in a certain culture of people defined by geography, vocations, history, political structure, demographics, and therefore must be handled God’s way which is self governing.
Priesthood of the believer
- Every believer is a priest and need not approach God through any other mediator than the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 2:5; 1 Peter 2:5, 9; Revelation 5:10).
- As priests, believers have the responsibility to live a separated life unto God (2 Corinthians 6:14-18; 1 Thessalonians 1:9; Acts 26:18).
- Lord’s supper – 1 Corinthians 11:2 – a remembrance
- Baptism of believers – Acts 8:37, baptism is for believers only and performed by immersion in water signifying the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Individual soul liberty
- The Bible says men are free to make decisions based on their own conscience (Romans 14). Men are responsible and accountable to God for themselves.
- Truth is not propagated by the sword. People are not compelled to believe the truth. God said the truth is spread by preaching (Romans 10:13-15, 1 Corinthians 1:18)
- The most sound advice came from an unsaved man named Gallio in Acts 18:12-17. He said I deal with legal matters of the state and you deal with spiritual matters of your faith. It is not my job as a state official to dictate religion to you.
- Our constitution and Bill of Rights were largely based on these baptist principles of self government. We had a Bill of Rights which was to say these were liberties given to people by God, not the government, on which the government had no authority to make laws. Our government is now looked upon as the source of people’s rights. That’s why we see it encroaching into institutions it has no business in like marriage.
Saved church membership
- Religion says become a member of this religion or church and that’s how you are saved.
- The Bible says the only way to become a member of the body of Christ is to be saved.
- He has appointed two offices for his churches. The first office is pastor, also known as bishop or elder (Eph. 4:11; 1 Tim. 3:1; 1 Pet. 5:1-3).
- The second office is deacon (1 Tim. 3:8). Deacon serves a logistical function according to Acts 6:1-4. Pastors should have as much respect for the men who hold this office as they should have for him in his position.
- Service is the proving ground for these offices. Mark 10:43-45
- Home is the first proving ground. 1 Timothy 3
Security of the believer
- This means once a person is saved, they cannot lose their salvation. It is the doctrine of eternal security of the believer. It is Biblical so we believe if for several reasons.
- PURPOSE – Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Redemption is the Romans 8:23 the redemption of the body
- PRESENCE – Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: So he’s in you as the Holy Spirit of God conforming you to the image of Jesus Christ.
- POSSESSION – Eternal Life – John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. Given ETERNAL Life not TEMPORARY Life (John 3:36)
- POSITION – Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. Delivered, Col. 1:12-13, Accepted, Eph. 1:6, Sanctified once and for all, Hebrews 10:10
- PARENT – 1 Pet 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 1 John 3:2 Now are we sons of God…
- POWER – John 10:28-29 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. what can separate us from the love of Christ? (Rom 8:35) death, life, angels, principalities, powers, present or future things, height, depth or any creature… God began a work he will finish Philippians 1:5-6. The power is not yours to do the work, but God’s. So if the devil beats you up about being too weak to maintain your salvation, just say AMEN! It’s God’s salvation, I received it and am thankful.