This helmet is not physical just as nothing else in this armor is physical. If you trust Jesus Christ you can still suffer head injuries. God said we wrestle not against flesh and after describing spiritual warfare and the spiritual armor at our disposal, we now move to the head. Not your physical head, but your mind.
The mind is a battlefield that the devil will occupy if he can.
Salvation, the promise of the redemption of the body, a certain future in new heaven and new earth without sin, without trouble, or any curse has an affect on the mind. Salvation is a protection against all kinds of thoughts.
Guard your mind discouragement
- Hope of salvation is a helmet that guards against overwhelming sorrow.
- 1 Corinthians 15:30-32, 54-58
- Paul asked some reasonable questions like why is he putting his life in jeopardy if there wasn’t anything beyond the grave.
- He makes the point about the resurrection being illustrated in nature. Then says we haven’t seen yet the full extent of obedience, so don’t quit, be stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.
- The investment is well worth it.
- 2 Timothy 1:8-12 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, 10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel: 11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. 12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
- So the helmet of salvation meets sorrow with the absolute assurance of a future hope and sorrow doesn’t stand a chance.
Guard your mind from temptation
- Hope of salvation is a helmet that guards against thoughts of this world becoming too attractive.
- See temptation for what it is
- Philosophy of eat, drink, fornicate, play for tomorrow we die.
- Hebrews 10:34 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.
- 1 Peter 1:13-16 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. And this is another time the Holy Spirit has called the worldly perspective on life “ignorant”
- Attraction to the world will make you dirty.
- 1 John 3:1-3 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
Guard your mind from doubt
- Hope of salvation is a helmet that gives clarity to your purpose here and guards against double mindedness.
- Philippians 1:20-24 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. 21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. 23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: 24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you. Notice the total victory in Christ.
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
Guard your mind from fears
- Hope of salvation is a helmet that alleviates certain unreasonable fears.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:1-2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
Guard your mind from becoming cold toward others
- Salvation testimony of drunk whose wife was always nice and compassionate to him. Knowing if he never gets saved, this is the best it will ever get for him.
- Matthew 5:43-48 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.