Text: Psalm 24
Note the questions in verses 3, 8, and 10, Who is the King of glory? Every who question in this Psalm
- Salvation is a who question.
- Peace with God is a who question.
- Forgiveness of sins is a who question.
Who will be the heir? (vss 1-3)
- Throughout the psalm the LORD, Almighty God, the Father, looks for the man who will be King to inherit the earth. In verses 1-2, Almighty God, describes the inheritance. Then it’s almost as the Father looks around and asks who can I give this to? The Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost know the answer to this question, but the time of the Lord Jesus Christ is not yet.
- Ascendance into Heaven (vs 3)
- Who shall ascend? Who shall stand?
- No man had ascended into the holy presence of the Father. And there was no way for man to ever ascend. Keeping Israel’s law wouldn’t allow man to ascend into heaven. Being a good person doesn’t allow man to ascend. Asking for forgiveness from your sins doesn’t make someone eligible to ascend.
- John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
- John 6:62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
- John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
- Romans 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
- Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens…
- Ephesians 4:8-10 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
Requirements for the heir (vss 4-6)
- Clean hands
- Pure heart
- Not lifted up his soul to vanity
- Nor sworn deceitfully
- Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
- This man will receive the blessings and the righteousness of God.
- This man is the generation of man that truly seek the Father and serve the Father.
We’ve found the heir! (vss 7-10)
- The Father speaks to heaven’s gates to enter the throne room of Almighty God. He’s found the man, Jesus Christ, who has pleased Him and now ascended up to which the Father gladly receives him into the holiest place. And there Jesus Christ is a mediator forever for anyone looking for the righteousness of God.
- Mediator in verses 7 and 9
- John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
- Hebrews 8:1 We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; a minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched and not man.
- Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
- Warrior in verse 8
- Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
- Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.