Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | | More
Text: Revelation 16
These are the seven last plagues from God poured out on the earth.
It looks like the 42 months otherwise known as the end of Daniel’s seventieth week is done. God’s determination upon Israel is complete. And it appears that these seven last plagues could be poured out after the 70 weeks for three reasons.
First, the group in Revelation 15:2 has gotten the victory implying that part of the trial is over. Second, the judgment on those that received the mark and worshipped the image has come. It doesn’t make sense that the judgment or the victory would be counted until the trial was over. Thirdly, you’re given a time frame by Daniel in Daniel 12:11-12 that prophesies an extra 45 days of something after the abomination of desolation has run its course.
The confidence of man comes to ruin. Everything man trusted in now comes crashing down. This is the final judgment before the time of refreshing. Notice where these vials are poured out: earth, sea, fountains, sun, seat of the beast, Euphrates, and in the air.
Plague #1 – Noisome and grievous sore
Plague #2 – Sea became as the blood of a dead man
Plague #3 – Fresh water became blood
Plague #4 – Scorching heat from sun
Plague #5 – Darkness on the kingdom of the beast
- Now the lights go out on the antichrist’s kingdom.
- Exodus 10:21-23
- Darkness that is felt.
- Darkness did not fall on Israel.
- Men loved darkness rather than light and God gives it to them.
Plague #6 – Euphrates dries up
- Euphrates dries up to clear the way for the kings of the east to gather around Israel.
- The beast’s kingdom goes into darkness and the world seems to rally to fight a common enemy in Jesus Christ.
- Battle of Armageddon
- Zechariah 12:9-11
- Unclean spirits
- “Frog in your throat”
- Amphibians/reptiliian type spirit in contrast to the Holy Spirit like a dove (Matthew 3:16, Mark 1:10, Luke 3:22, John 1:32). The Devil as a dragon – reptile.
- Frogs catch their prey with the tongues.
- 2 Timothy 4:1-6
- Kings travel to the beast’s kingdom to battle the Lamb
- These are probably part of the ten horns prophesied of.
- Revelation 17:12-14
- Daniel 2:33-35, 41-44. 7:8-9, 20-
Plague #7 – Earthquake followed by great hail
- Earthquake like never before
- Judges 5:4-5 LORD, when thou wentest out of Seir, when thou marchedst out of the field of Edom, the earth trembled, and the heavens dropped, the clouds also dropped water. 5 The mountains melted from before the LORD, even that Sinai from before the LORD God of Israel.
- 2 Samuel 22:7-9 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God: and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears. 8 Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations of heaven moved and shook, because he was wroth. 9 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it. (same as Psalms 18)
- Psalm 46:1-3 [To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth.] God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; 3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
- Psalm 68:8 The earth shook, the heavens also dropped at the presence of God: even Sinai itself was moved at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
- Psalm 97
- Jeremiah 10:10 But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.
- Haggai 2:20-22 And again the word of the LORD came unto Haggai in the four and twentieth day of the month, saying, 21 Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, I will shake the heavens and the earth; 22 And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.
- Hebrews 12:25-27 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: 26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
- Luke 21:25-28 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 26 Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. 27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
- Jerusalem is divided into three – Zechariah 13:7-9
- Cities of the nations fall
- Babylon’ judgment
- Babylon sits on the Euphrates which has dried up. As the kings of the east move toward Megiddo they destroy Babylon.
- Jeremiah 51:60-64
- Chapters 17 and 18 will detail how Babylon is judged