Text: Romans 8:1-13
Your new life in Christ should match your identity in Christ. The Holy Spirit through Paul is going to try to line up our new spiritual life in Christ with the doctrinal truths of chapters 6-7. Those showed the sin in the body and the two natures now at work in a Christian.
walk after – leading. Who is leading? As a Christian, you and I should become very familiar with the Holy Spirit of God because He is going to be leading you and I to be more like Christ.
- Direction will change
- Where you go. There are some places where you will no longer go and no one will have to tell you to leave those places – the Spirit of God will be leading you away
- Church, fellowship with other believers
- Pace will change
- The Holy Spirit is not in a rush to grow you up – as in your natural growth, you will begin to grow at a pace you can sustain
- Lead on softly – Genesis 33:12-14
- Christian life is about FINISHING. Don’t get discouraged that there may have been much in the past of wasted time. Paul had the same problem yet he still said I finished my course.
- Battles will Change
- You’ll have battles you never had before – Spiritual growth is accompanied by spiritual battles
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
- Growth will Change
- Your walk will mature – Like an athlete well-exercised in his sport, your walk will strengthen as the Holy Spirit gains more control of your life, Ephesians 6:10 – this maturity will come through suffering, trouble and experience which you are about to be introduced to later on in chapter 8
- You are either growing or regressing.
- Your walk can remain carnal –
- If the crowd you were with before doesn’t change, new Christians find themselves back in the same place they were before they were saved
- Or you’ll see someone who looks spiritual show up like a JW, Mormon, cool Christian show up and steal away the new Christian. And in a couple months the new Christian won’t be in church, the one who stole him away won’t be found either.
- Your walk become carnal again
- Some very aged Christians have “figured out” how to walk as if they are walking after the Spirit – these are carnal Christians, 1 Corinthians 3:1-4
- here are some ways to know if you are one – Galatians 5:16-25
- church splits are caused by these Christians
- Comes from an unclean spirit posing as the Holy Spirit
- If you have an NIV or a version based on men who corrupted the word of God which is any version in the 20th century, the last few words in verse 1 have been removed.