Text: Exodus 12
This week we’ll be celebrating Independence Day for this nation. I happened to be reading in my Bible reading about another independence day: Israel’s independence day, also known as the Passover.
Israel was a nation of slaves in Egypt. Moses was raised up to deliver Israel. He asked Pharaoh nine times to let his people go and Pharaoh said no. This tenth plague would directly kill the lives of both people and animals. God would require in one night the lift of every 1st born child and animal in all of Egypt. The only way out was to sacrifice a lamb and put the blood on the doorposts and stay in the house until the plague passed. And with that plague, God would tear the jaws of Egypt and save Israel out of its mouth. In one night God would liberate the Jews from Egypt. It would be the birth of the nation and Israel’s independence day.
Your independence came in the form of a birth
- Verse 2 says this shall be the beginning of months to you.
- Liberty in Christ is a spiritual birth
- John 3:3 Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
- You need a spiritual birth, with spiritual eyes to see the kingdom of God. Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
- Liberty in Christ is an incorruptible birth
- John 3:5 Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. Birth out of water – mother’s water breaks and a baby is born
- Jesus says I’m not talking about repeating the same process. Your first birth ends up in a grave. You were born in Beeville, TX, or Corpus Christi, TX, or Houston, TX or somewhere on this earth you were born. And that birth ends in a grave. Your first birth is corrupt. Looking at the end tells you what you’re dealing with. It is corruptible and ends in death.
- 1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
- Redemption of the body Romans 8:23, 1 Corinthians 15:51-52 & Ephesians 4:30
- Liberty in Christ is a birth into eternal life
- That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
- For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Liberty in Christ is a birth from God
- Nicodemus doesn’t need a religious reformation, or to turn over a new leaf, or to promise God he’s going to change his life, or to give his heart to God. He needs to be born a new way. He needs a birth from God.
Your independence comes from the blood of a Lamb
- God tells Israel to apply the blood of a lamb
- Pick the lamb on the 10th day, kill it on the 14th day
- Don’t let anything be left of it on the 15th day (Exodus 12:10)
- Male without blemish (Exodus 12:5)
- The blood applied would be the token (Exodus 12:13)
- The blood applied to all in the house (Exodus 12:22) – and thine house in the New Testament
- The blood was protection (Exodus 12:23)
- Lamb picked on the 10th day. That’s the same day Jesus Christ was hailed as king riding on a donkey into Jerusalem 1500 years later. The lamb is killed on the 14th just like Jesus Christ is crucified on the 14th day 1500 years later.
- The Passover was celebrated as a shadow of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.
- The Passover meal was instituted in Exodus 12:1-11 in the night before Israel was redeemed from Egypt. The best lamb of the flock had to be killed and its blood posted on the doorposts of the house so God would pass over that family. If there was no blood from the lamb on the door, then the firstborn in the family would be killed that night.
- The Lord Jesus Christ would begin his ministry with John the Baptist saying, Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world. Making clear that Jesus Christ is the passover lamb.
- John 19:14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
- 1 Corinthians 5:7 …For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
- The new testament described like a “will and testament” that takes effect at the death of a person.
- Hebrews 10:1-22 describes the fulfillment in detail.
- A body is prepared to bear the wrath of God for our sins.
- Emphasis on the body of Jesus Christ for the purpose of offering.
- In the new testament forgiveness would be once and for all to those who would personally take the Lamb of God and his torn body as the sacrifice for their sin.
Your independence is worth passing on
- Exodus 12:26 …Dad, why do we do this?
- You need to learn to have an explanation and testimony.
- The Lord says and you’re going to remember this day of liberty and redemption.
- This we’ll be remembering the day of independence for this country on July 4.
- Exodus 12:14 …a memorial…