Perseverance of the Saints is the last petal in the Calvinist’s TULIP. After beating non-Calvinists over the head about grace, God’s sovereignty, and works salvation, they now do a 180 degree turn. In this last point a Calvinist throws away everything he’s said up until now (which is fine) and reveals that Calvinism really is another gospel as Paul called it in Galatians and ultimately a gospel of works.
Definition of Perseverance of the Saints
- Perseverance of the saints is basically a Calvinist trying to figure out who is “elect” and who is not by their works. Calvinism is “another gospel” as Paul called it in Galatians. As much as Calvinists will deceive themselves into thinking that they are the only ones who believe everything about salvation is God’s work, it is here that they contradict everything they just said.
- Perseverance of the saints says:
- A saint will persevere in the faith.
- Only those who persevere in the faith are true Christians.
- Those who do not persevere in the faith are lost.
- Real Christians will return to the faith before their demise.
- Those who do not return to the faith were never saved.
- It is often confused with eternal security which it is definitely not as we will see. Some Calvinists detest the idea of once saved always saved even though that would truly be God’s work.
- It is also called “Lordship Salvation” which says if He’s not Lord of all, He’s not Lord at all. Also said by a Calvinist, “No one can receive Jesus Christ as Savior while he rejects Him as Lord.”
- One obvious problem with this is that line is never defined by the Calvinist where Jesus is Lord one minute and the next minute Jesus is not Lord anymore.
- Is it smoking? The hero Spurgeon smoked cigars, so that’s probably not the line.
- Is it unbelief? How much unbelief would you need? Jesus scolded the disciples for unbelief while they were following him.
Biblical problems with Perseverance of the Saints
- It ignores that Christians can be carnal.
- 1 Corinthians 3:1
- It denies that a Christian still has flesh nature.
- Romans 7:18
- It can’t determine the difference between a Christian’s standing and his state.
- 1 Corinthians 6:7-11
- It ignores the Judgment Seat of Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 5:10
- It ignores all instruction to Christians to correct behavior
- A Calvinist assumes a Christian will change no matter what.
- Which ignores every letter Paul wrote to saints trying to correct or encourage certain behavior, affections, attitudes, and such.
- It can’t understand how faith and works are different.
- Acts 26:20
- 2 Peter 1:5-9
- It never defines what “Lordship Salvation” means
- Anyone who claims Lordship Salvation (another gospel) always obeys their own guidelines though they could never explain to anyone else what those guidelines are suppose to look like.
Eternal Security is truly the work of God
- This means once a person is saved, they cannot lose their salvation. It is the doctrine of eternal security of the believer. It is Biblical so we believe it for several reasons. The thing that makes this doctrine confusing is watching carnal Christians live their life, and unsaved sinners trying to be Christians.
- Sealed by the Holy Spirit of God
- Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Redemption is the Romans 8:23 the redemption of the body
- So at salvation, Jesus Christ’s atonement for sin is applied to your soul and the Holy Spirit begins working inside you until the body of sin is redeemed.
- Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: So he’s in you as the Holy Spirit of God conforming you to the image of Jesus Christ.
- Born again unto eternal life, new child of God, new creature
- John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
- Romans 8:15 whereby we cry Abba.
- Galatians 4:5
- Your new standing in Christ
- Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
- Delivered, Col. 1:12-13, Accepted, Eph. 1:6, Sanctified once and for all, Hebrews 10:10
- Romans 8:35 death, life, angels, principalities, powers, present or future things, height, depth or any creature…
- God began a work he will finish Philippians 1:5-6. The power is not yours to do the work, but God’s. So if the devil beats you up about being too weak to maintain your salvation, just say AMEN! It’s God’s salvation, I received it and am thankful.
- It will lead a Calvinist to charge his opponents with believing in “easy believism” or “cheap grace” to which we respond not only do we believe in cheap grace, we believe grace is FREE!
- Romans 5:15-18 free gift
- Eternal security is actually believing salvation is God’s work.
Probate or probation is to test for a period of time. Reprobate is to have been tested and rejected. In the Bible context, reprobate means you have been tried by God and rejected. Jeremiah 6:30.
Romans 1:28 reprobate minds, unproven going into perverse and unnatural territory.
2 Corinthians 13:5 examine yourselves
- Evidence #1 – 2 Timothy 3:5, 8 – Resist the truth
- Evidence #2 – Titus 1:15-16 – Nothing is pure
- Evidence #3 – Hebrews 12:7-8 – No chastening
- Evidence #4 – Matthew 7:22 – No relationship with the Lord. He doesn’t know you.