Text: Luke 2:7, 12, 16
The word manger only shows up three times in the Bible; all three times are in the verses we will preach from in Luke chapter 2.
The necessity of the manger (vs 7)
- It’s significant why Jesus was in the manger.
- …because there was no room for them in the inn. The inn would be like a house with a couple extra rooms.
- I’ve heard multiple sermons about where there is no room for Jesus and you probably have too.
- No room in culture.
- No room in education.
- No room in politics.
- Consider the innkeeper
- No room because of ignorance.
- The innkeeper didn’t make any preparations to accommodate Joseph, Mary, and Jesus.
- You didn’t know he’d be here, so you’re booked. No rooms vacant.
- No room because of indifference.
- The innkeeper didn’t care enough about housing Joseph, Mary, and Jesus.
- Maybe you didn’t care he was coming. Church, prayer, Bible, preaching, teaching, witnessing; none of it is “your thing.”
- You can take him or leave him. Makes no difference to you.
- No room because of inconvenience
- Look, as an innkeeper, to take on a pregnant mother means special accommodations are going to have to be made.
- Things will have to be rearranged in order to make room and I just don’t want to get into that.
- Obligated to current guests. Some might understand there’s a newborn here, but others may not. Either way it’s going to be hard to get those guests out to make room for him.
- No room because of ignorance.
- Haven’t you found in your life fitting Jesus in is like an overbooked innkeeper who would have to say no to other guests in order to make room?
The sign of the manger (vs 12)
- It’s significant what the manger is.
- The angel said this would be a sign to the shepherds that they’d find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. The sign to the shepherds was unmistakable.
- The manger is where the flock is fed.
- The sign of the manger is Jesus Christ would feed his people.
- He fed his people in the wilderness with manna.
- He fed the 4000 as they travelled with him.
- He fed the 5000 as they travelled with him for three days.
- John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
- John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
- Revelation 7:17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.
The babe in the manger (vs 16)
- It’s significant who was in the manger.
- …the babe…That baby is God manifest in the flesh.
- Your calendar would forever be changed with this event.
- In that manger was the humanity of God
- 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh… God in diapers, what a thought!? God as a child learning, growing, asking questions, hitting his thumb with a hammer, getting splinters, scraping his knee. Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man. Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (3 words that changed everything)
- John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
- Righteousness, wisdom, sanctification, and redemption all have a body – 1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
- Eternal life has a form – 1 John 1:1-3 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
- Truth is a man – John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- That the manger smelled like cattle
- Ordinary stable furniture turned to something extraordinary because of who was in it.
- God would take the ordinary, insignificant, common feed trough and make it special by putting someone priceless in it.
- Like a sinner that gets saved.
- 2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.