Text: Matthew 6:5-15
Faithful prayer is first prayer
- When thou prayest (vss 5, 6, 7, 9)
- The Lord Jesus Christ expects anyone who claims to have faith to pray.
- Bounds said, “What the church needs today is not more machinery or better, not new organizations or more and novel methods, but men whom the Holy Spirit can use-men of prayer, men mighty in prayer. The Holy Spirit does not flow through methods, but through men. He does not come on machinery, but on men. He does not anoint plans, but men-men of prayer.”
- Now, you and I find that our flesh has no use for prayer. Your flesh trusts what it can see, it fears what it can see. Prayer is a useless activity to your flesh. Real prayer is a waste of time to my flesh and to yours. Matthew 26:40-43 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? 41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. 42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. 43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
- If you say you believe God is a rewarder but a lost hypocrite does more praying than you do then you have a problem in your personal life.
Warnings about prayers that God doesn’t hear (vss 5-8)
- Hypocrite prayers
- Praying to be seen of men.
- Just like the alms in 6:1 that are done to be seen of men, so are these prayers are prayed to be seen of men. They’re prayed for their social, political, popular value.
- If the Pharisees had cell phones and social media they’d be posting themselves praying and tagging all the celebrities and political figures they want to see them.
- Matthew 23:5-9
- Faith is: Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
- Believing God is the rewarder is the opposite of being a man pleaser: Colossians 3:23-25. If what you call faith ends where your reputation begins or if what you call faith ends where your recognition begins, understand that fearing God is exclusive to fearing man.
- Private prayer to be heard by God the Father, not to be seen of men
- Matthew 14:23
- Two personal stories of asking for a particular financial need. Found money in one of my books. Received money directly deposited into our account.
- Heathen prayers
- Verse 7 no vain repetition; rosaries, incantation, chants, pre-written prayers, mantras, are all examples of heathen prayers.
- Prayer wheel mantras
- Prayer bead mantras
- Common Book of Prayer
- Roman Catholic mantras for service
- Islamic prayer mantras piped in at different times during the day in Islamic regions.
- The heathen who use Bibles will sell you prayers for prosperity, healing, word of faith, etc.
- But the heathen believe their continuous chants will call up spiritual help or release energy into their life.
- Buddhists use mantras to align the physical world with the spiritual world.
- Hindus use mantras to appease the gods – Namaste.
- These are all superstitions because no one talks to anyone like this.
- The hypocrite doesn’t care if God hears, he just wants man to hear.
- The heathen thinks his constant repetition is what causes the gods or saints or whoever to hear him.
- Elijah vs prophets of Baal. They get louder and louder and more and more intense and are never answered.
Faithful prayer toward God the Father (vss 9-13)
- Which art in HEAVEN, prayer directed toward heaven, not men on the earth.
- Praying without regard to who they are suppose to be praying to.
- Verse 13 is the point: THINE is the kingdom (not this world), THINE is the power (not me or what I say or what I release into existence), THINE is the glory; so if prayer is an opportunity to get hold of the kingdom, the power, and the glory then that’s who I want to be talking to.
Remember who you’re talking to (vss 14-15)
- The forgiveness is in the context of prayer! This is NOT how a soul is forgiven before God the Father. This is NOT a replacement for the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. This is about PRAYER!
- Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
- Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
- Two or more gathered deals with people being reconciled and the Lord being there. Matthew 18:15-20
- 1 Peter 3:7 husbands and wives