Text: Matthew 6:19-21
God as the rewarder has been the theme of Matthew 6. Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is expressed as investment. Matthew 6 is explaining what diligently seek him looks like. In charity they are looking to the Lord for reward, not for recognition by men. In prayer they are looking to the Lord for reward, not for recognition by men. In fasting they are looking to the Lord for reward, not for recognition by men. These are practical aspects of the faith of someone diligently seeking out the Lord.
- Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth…
- Pursuit of value: Everyone is after what they consider valuable. Nobody has to tell you to pursue what you find valuable. You do that. Your life is the expression of what you find valuable and it is equally the expression of what you don’t find value in. But all of our thoughts on value are irrelevant because the Lord has to shine light on what APPEARS to be valuable versus what is actually valuable.
- Wealth accumulated; particularly, a stock or store of money in reserve.
- A great quantity of any thing collected for future use.
- Something very much valued.
- Treasure is anything valuable to you. And the truth is it is of such value to you that you wouldn’t give it up for the Lord. Or it’s something you don’t have that is of such value to you that you pursue it at the cost of your soul.
- Matthew 16:24-28
- Matthew 19:16-22 possessions actually do come between the Lord and sinners.
- Luke 12:13-34 – Parable of wealthy man. Died very successfully. Nothing committed to the Lord. The Lord has to constantly remind man of what is actually valuable.
- Revelation 3:14-21 again the reminder of what is actually valuable versus what a congregation perceives as valuable.
- where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
- When you read something like this people think the preacher is getting ready to go after their money. According to the scripture it’s the thief that wants your treasure.
- James 5:1-5
- Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven…
- Matthew 19:27-29
- Luke 6:20-26
- 1 Corinthians 3:8, 11-13
- 1 Timothy 6:17-19
- Principle is that where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
- The Lord is after your heart. He knows the treasure is where the heart is.
- The more a soul will commit to the Lord, the more the Lord will have that heart.
- 2 Timothy 1:12