Text: Psalm 47
Once again you have in the Psalm a storyline that follows God’s history. In Psalm 42-43 you have God’s people in a state of confusion wondering where God is. In Psalm 44 you have great tribulation such that the faithful ones are falling. In Psalm 45 you have the return of the bridegroom and the marriage of heaven and earth. In Psalm 46 you have the presence of God the refuge. And now in Psalm 47 God as King over all the earth, ruling over all the earth.
This is clearly not happening right now. Every reference to God and King is a reference to the Lord Jesus Christ.
Jesus Christ’s ministry as King
- (vs 2-3) He is a great King over all the earth … and the nations under our feet
- We think of the Millennial reign of the Lord Jesus Christ as the end of everything, but what the Bible says is that the Millennial reign is the final part of his ministry to deliver all kingdoms to his Father.
- 1 Corinthians 15:24-26 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
- Revelation 20
- Jesus Christ ministry of rule as King for 1000 years on this earth.
- Matthew 25:31-34 …the King… gather the nations…
- Followed by his subduing of Death and Hell
- Hebrews 2:8-9 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
- Ephesians 1:20-23
- Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.
- 1 Peter 3:22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
The inheritance brought to earth and in the earth (vs 4)
- Joshua 13
- 1 Peter 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, (Treasury Reserve)
- Isaiah 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
- Isaiah 65:20, 25 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed… The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent’s meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.
- Gentiles share in the inheritance
- Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
- Galatians 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
- Ephesians 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
- Colossians 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
- It’s quite possible that the Judgment seat of Christ and his judgment of the nations both occur when Jesus Christ returns
- Judgment seat of Christ as it’s currently taught came essentially from Clarence Larkin’s charts of the rapture that leads to Judgment seat of Christ in heaven while tribulation is on earth. But, that leaves several gaps to fill in because there are no verses that say that’s how it works.
- 2 Corinthians 5:9-11 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
- Saved yet so as by fire means the land is burned
King’s songs (vss 6-7)
- Isaiah 54:1-5