Text: Colossians 1:20
RECONCI’LE, verb transitive – The literal sense is to call back into union.
- To call back into union and friendship the affections which have been alienated; to restore to friendship or favor after estrangement
- To bring to acquiescence, content or quiet submission
- To make consistent or congruous; to bring to agreement or suitableness
In 8 words the entire Bible and scope of God’s redemptive work is summed up, by him to reconcile all things unto himself: to call back into union and friendship the affections which have been alienated; to restore to friendship or favor after estrangement.
Reconciliation is the determination of God
- Daniel 9:24
- Acts 2:22-24
- So determined is God the Father to reconcile mankind that He will give His only begotten Son.
- Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
Reconciliation to God is the ministry of the saints
- The purpose and work of Almighty God is to reconcile all things to himself.
- 2 Corinthians 5:18-20 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.
- What is an ambassador and what does an ambassador represent?
- Being an ambassador is not a personality issue.
- An Embassy is the diplomatic representation of a country’s government in another country.
- It transmits messages of its home government to the government of the host country and vice versa.
- It informs its home government about important political, social, economical, military and other events happening in the host country. (Prayer)
- It prepares international treaties and official state visits. (Prayer to get the Lord to intervene.)
- It promotes its own home culture, economy and science in the host country.
- Before declaring war on a nation the ambassadors and embassy is emptied meaning there is no more diplomatic relationship between the two countries.
Reconciliation is accomplished for both Jews and Gentiles in the body of Christ
- Isaiah 53:10-11 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
- Ephesians 2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: