Text: Genesis 5:21-24, Hebrews 11:5-6, Jude 14-15
Enoch’s faith is the subject of today’s sermon. He was contemporary with Adam for 308 years. Enoch’s faith led to his victory over death, his rapture out of this world, and his legacy in his son Methuselah. Hebrews 11:5-6, Jude 14-15
Walk of faith
- Genesis 5:24 And Enoch walked with God….
- While these other folks built an ark and survived a global flood, were tortured and martyred, saw children raised from the dead, lived through attempts to be burned alive, Enoch’s claim to fame in God’s record is that he walked with God and that made God happy.
- Walk implies progress
- Walk implies fellowship. Walk implies agreement: Same pace. Same direction
- Walk to a destination.
- In step with the Lord
- Hear Him talk.
- I need to talk to Him.
- I need to work when and where He wants to work.
- I need to be with others who are working with Him.
- His life ended early in comparison to his peers, but only because he pleased God.
Victory of faith
- By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death…
- Victorious over death
- Translation is the victorious transition of power
- It is more than a “change” according to God. It is to be free from bondage.
- O death where is thy sting?
- 2 Samuel 3:1-10 House of Saul warred against house of David
- Colossians 1:13 glorious power of the father…who hath delivered us from the power of darkness… translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son
- Victorious over the world
- Enoch was accomplishing what he’s here to do.
- Without faith it is impossible to please God (11:6). If something is of no value to God, what could it be good for?
- Faith yields reward…he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (11:6)
- … for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
- The testimony meant he could tell others how to please God if they’d listen.
- Must have this testimony else how will you be a witness to others to tell them how to please God?
Preaching of faith
- The only specific thing that is recorded about Enoch is his preaching. Jude 14-15 Preaching against ungodly, warning of coming judgment.
- He preaches Jesus Christ without knowing the name Jesus Christ.