Peace of God
Text: Colossians 3:15
Let the peace of God rule in your hearts.
God’s peace is ACCOMPLISHED in Jesus Christ body
- Acts 10:34-43
- Ephesians 2:11-18
- The Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6)
God’s peace must be ALLOWED to rule
- There are many things that can rule in your heart. Money can rule your heart. Lust can rule your heart. Fear can rule your heart. And whatever it is that rules your heart is something you allowed to rule your heart. The peace of God is the same in that if it’s going to rule your heart you’ve got to put it in charge.
- Philippians 4:6-7
- Cares don’t always put people before God
- In this case worry, anxiety, fretting indicates a lack of prayer.
- Luke 10:41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
- Luke 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
- Prayer the opposite of care. If you’re like me you think you don’t have time to pray because these things aren’t getting done. The cares of this world will keep you from praying.
- Part of prayer is to be careful for nothing.
- Notice the contrast BUT in every thing by prayer…
- Careful is to be full of care, to worry, fret, be anxious and nervous.
- The idea is that saying a “prayer” and fretting about the same thing means you just SAID A PRAYER but you haven’t actually PRAYED. Saying prayers and praying are two different things.
- Saying a prayer is not the same thing as praying
- 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
- Biblical prayer means an exchange is made at the throne of grace. My requests, my desires, my fears, my anxiety, my cares are placed before the throne of God and God replaces that with peace.
- Like a trucker driving to his destination and coming right back with the same load. A fellow asks the driver did you go to such and such a place? Driver says oh yes. Fellow asks, why do you still have that load on your truck. Driver says, oh well, I did drive to the location.
- We could probably all say I don’t pray the way I should. And I wonder how much anxiety, how many pills, how much alcohol, how much dope has been consumed by prayerless people.
God’s peace is APPLIED in gratitude
- Peace is published in Isaiah 52:7 is interpreted by Paul as the gospel in Romans 10:15. How are they sent? Hebrews 13:12-15 is the sending out of the people who have made peace with God in Jesus Christ.